You may have seen the “My 10 Books” thing going around Facebook/Twitter/Tumblr/etc., and while I appreciate that social media is tackling something more substantial than cats* for a change, I really REALLY hate anything that requires one to tag other people. I get a squicky feeling of pressure when someone tags me in such a post**. I never want to inflict that on anyone else, so I’m not tagging a goddamn soul here.
If, however, this list should spur you on to make your own list, by all means, have at it and let me know!
So on to my list. As it’s MY list, I’ve done away with the requirement for it to be 10 books. It’s rather rare that I read a standalone book instead of a larger series. I view the stories I love most in terms of the entire story, not one piece of it. When I re-read something, I’m choosing to revisit that world, not one corner of it. So you’ll see lots of entire series here, and for that I make no apology.
My list, in the order it occurred to me:
- The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
- One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez
- The (early***) Pern series by Anne McCaffrey
- The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
- Pebble in the Sky by Issac Asimov
- Monument by Lloyd Biggle, Jr.
- Time Storm by Gordon R. Dickson
- The Farseer, Liveship Traders, and Tawny Man trilogies**** by Robin Hobb
- The Saga of Pliocene Exile, Intervention, and the Galactic Milieu Trilogy by Julian May
- Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut
I tried to link to versions with the same cover art that I owned/read. Wow. The nostalgia storm that just erupted around me is immense. I think I need a moment.
*Don’t get me wrong. I LOVE cats on the internet, which you already know if you follow me on Twitter.
**Note that I harbor no ill will toward the many people who have tagged me for this exercise. I know it was done from a place of love and because they know I’m such a bibliophile. Still though, it feels like homework.
**** I haven’t read the Rain Wilds Chronicles yet, but I suspect those’ll need to be included too. I got them for Christmas, so I’ll know soon!