Today is apparently International Podcast Day. I’ve got an awful lot to thank podcasts for. They changed my life so very much, and for the better.
It all started with The Nerdist. That led me to Radio Free Skaro. After that, nothing was the same. RFS led me to a passel of other great Doctor Who podcasts. And, of course, RFS also led me to my husband, Steven. It led me to a whole, huge group of friends-who-feel-like-family, scattered over the entire globe. It led me to Doctor Who conventions. It led me to Canada. Yeah, I have a lot to thank podcasts for.
And now, I’m making them myself! I adore my fellow Verities, and while making Verity! takes a lot of work, it’s so incredibly worth it. Diving back into Babylon 5 after many years for The Audio Guide to Babylon 5 has been an even bigger treat than I anticipated! (And it means I get to talk to Chip and Shannon every-other-week, so that’s pretty fab too.) I can’t thank Jason enough for inviting me to become a panelist on The Incomparable. It’s broadened my horizions in a lot of great nerd ways! And it means I get to play Dungeons and Dragons again for Total Party Kill. SO FUN! Producing the Uncanny Magazine Podcast means I get to hear (and now, read!) amazing stories every month (plus catch up with Lynne and Michael) And Lazy Doctor Who means I get some quality time with my spouse watching our favorite show. Can’t beat that.
I’ll close by listing (in no particular order) the podcasts that I listen to (pretty much) every episode of. (There are lots of other podcasts I dip in and out of, but I have to draw the line somewhere or I’ll be here all day.) If you need a little extra fun in your life, check any of these out!
- Two-minute Time Lord – concentrated commentary on Doctor Who
- Mostly Harmless Cutaway – very un-concentrated commentary on Doctor Who
- Incomparable Radio Theater – old-timey-style radio drama, complete with old-timey-style commercials and announcers (and occasional me)
- Robot or Not? – what it says on the tin
- Hockey Feels – hockey talk!
- Radio Free Skaro – “the gold standard” in Doctor Who podcasting
- The Incomparable (plus Bonus Tracks) – general geekerey on many topics
- NPR: Pop Culture Happy Hour – delightful discussion of pop-culture topics
- Grammar Girl Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing – grammar tips and tricks
- The Memory Cheats – instant reactions to randomly-selected Doctor Who stories
- Reconcilable Differences – two podcasters trying to figure out how they got to be the way they are
- Total Party Kill – ridiculous Dungeons and Dragons, in video and audio formats
- The Incomparable Game Show – a variety of fun and silly game shows, several with a geeky slant
- Slate Presents Lexicon Valley – interesting info about words and language
- The TARDIS Tavern – drunken Doctor Who at its finest
- Reality Bomb – slickly-produced magazine-style Doctor Who podcast
- Doctor Who: The Writers’ Room – insightful coverage of Doctor Who, focusing on the scripts
- The Doctor Who Book Club Podcast – erudite deep-dives into Doctor Who novels
- The Pharos Project – ostensibly a Doctor Who podcast, but lots of sci-fi, horror, Bond films, and much more
- The Cornell Collective – a novelist, a comic professional, someone from the Doctor Who world, and Paul Cornell
- Invisibilia – fascinating observations about human behavior